27 March, 2012

We're Just Not There Yet...a pseudo review

It was 2009 and I was the Manager of Tour Bravo for the Strength In Action Tour. It was June and we were doing activations at Cedar Point and following that up with the NHRA race in Norwalk, OH. Seth Conger, who would later go on to lead Tour Delta, had found a sweet house to rent in Sandusky right on the lake.  So one night Seth & Daryl Motte (Seth's friend from his NASCAR days on an ESPN tour) interviewed me for a relationship type book they were going to write. I warned them from the get go that I did not have a monumental relationship history (a story for another time perhaps) but they didn't seem to care so we went ahead with the interview. We spent maybe 10-15 minutes talking about relationships/dating (I think I cited stuff from movies and they knew it) the other 75-80 minutes were them listening to me talk about the movie Gallipoli.

As time went by Seth had explained to me that he and Daryl had been doing research for the book by reading all the other relationship books out there (I remember him reading a lot of Chelsea Handler for some reason). They went to see relationship movies and stuff like that. So the day came and the book was finally published (they did it by themselves) and I got my copy. I was very confident that there was nothing useful from that 90 minute interview in case you're wondering. They even managed to get a plug in the Huffington Post last fall so I who was I to not read the book? Relationship books are normally what I read but seeing how it was put together by close friends of mine I sat down and read We're Just Not There Yet.

My first thought was, do they have to use so many cuss words (yes it's a reference to The Big Lebowski)? I met Daryl in 2008, got to actually know him in 2009 and I can't seem to recall him swearing a whole lot. In fact, he went out of his way not to swear. The next thing I came away with was that Daryl came off as more interesting than I remember. To me Daryl seemed to be a pretty boy type who flirted with every single pretty girl around, cared almost too much about his appearance and didn't seem to drink much. He didn't like sports but he did like movies which was our common ground and we would talk about films that should be seen and not be seen.

Back to the review. As someone in their 40's, this book wasn't written for my demographic but there were some interesting insights and amusing stories. It's not written like a real author, in fact that's a tone they try to set. The book reads like a guy talking about relationships in a bar or at a seminar (something along those lines). The book was easy to read and very enjoyable. If I was 10-15 years younger I might have used some of their pointers. It's good fun and worth the time. You may even come away thinking to yourself, "that's not me," "I know that person" or "I've been there before." Daryl & Seth did a nice job and they even continue their blog, We're Just Not There Yet. So check it out, buy the book and stop by their FB page.

Thanks for your time.

1 comment:

We're Just Not There Yet said...

Thanks for the Review Bency! We sure had some memories from the whole process. Glad you enjoyed it