27 August, 2016

2016 Films: #16. Suicide Squad


August 13th in Chicago. In only 3 weeks since it's release on August 5th, Suicide Squad has grossed over $270 million domestically. The film has more than made back its production and marketing budget ($325 million combined) with a worldwide gross of $587 million. The funny thing is that the critics don't like the film but fans love it. Fans loved it so much, they wanted to shutdown Rotten Tomatoes because they felt so strongly that the site's critics reviews were wrong (they weren't).


I can see why critics hate this picture. It's bad. There is nothing original in this film. If you want to see a good film involving Task Force X, go see Batman: Assault on Arkham Asylum.

Don't worry. Suicide Squad steals a lot from this feature.

My good friends at  Cracked.com had this to say about the film but I think the redundant plot can be properly summed up here in a way that makes me wish I was this clever...


To be fair, there were strong performances. Viola Davis really nailed Amanda Waller and I liked Jared Leto's take on The Joker (a bit more subtle than Heath Ledger's portrayal). Will Smith is good as Deadshot but Margot Robbie's portrayal of Harley Quinn is something that's up in the air. Sometimes she's good and sometimes I'm left scratching my head. Which maybe is the reaction I should be having. There are some good scenes in this film, mostly flashbacks involving Batman. Overall the film seemed rushed, a recurring theme in the DCU. They used the same sets at Batman v. Superman and had a plot piece that seemed all to familiar...

I give you the swirling portal from Suicide Squad (2016).

Ghostbusters (1984).

Avengers (2012).

Thor: Dark World (2014). Sensing a screenwriting theme yet?

X-Men: Apacalypse (2016). To be fair it's really just swirling debris. But you get the idea.

As I've said earlier, I didn't like the film. It wasn't as awful as critic made it out to be but it did not warrant fan backlash against Rotten Tomatoes either. Others have voiced better opinions that mine but here's another for good measure. With the financial success of this picture, there will be others and there's still time to make this better. 

No comments: