22 March, 2011

Possible remakes...be advised or beware!

My sister sent me this link a while ago, http://flavorwire.com/159773/10-movie-remakes-were-actually-looking-forward-to/10. Check it out for yourselves. A lot of these titles would garner my interest more if they stay true to the original. Reboots can be 50/50 so be advised.  Here are my thoughts:

1. All Quiet on the Western Front: This is a title that could do well from a modern update. Although most people who were around for WWI are either really old or deceased. So a bit of history may not be a bad idea.  My interest would be piqued either way so I'd take this title for a spin.

2. Mad Max:  According to the article this title could be a reboot or even a sequel. To me that spells doom. Thunderdome was bad. Most people, myself included, didn't event know there was a Mad Max until after they saw Road Warrior. There are a lot of factors that need to be resolved in order for me to give up $20 or more. Tom Hardy is a good actor & that makes it a possibility. My interest is lukewarm at best until more details get confirmed.

3. Heavy Metal: A remake of an early 80's animated film of short stories based on the cult adult comic/magazine? Why? I remember the Heavy Metal magazine as a 10-13 y/o, to be honest, mostly for the nude drawings. I also remember that the stories were pretty fair out. Mostly sci-fi or fantasy. I would end up seeing the film on VHS years later & didn't much care for it. If they remade it, I wouldn't spend my money.

4. My Fair Lady: The original is a 47 year old musical. Since it is a musical I have no interest unless someone recommends it. So this would be no interest for me.

5. The Birds: A remake of a great Hitchock film with Naomi Watts! I'm in. Unless reviews for this were bad I would see it. High interest.

6. Escape from New York: This is a tough call. The original is a CLASSIC! Kurt Russell, Lee Van Cleef, Donald Pleasance, Dean Stockwell, Adrianne Borbeau & Issac Hayes. That was an all-star cast & their characters were awesome! I would need to get more info about this one before making a commitment but I would say that there is mild curiosity.

7. The Phantom Tollbooth: This is another film that's over 30 years old that if not mistaken, combines live action with animation. This is a kids film so I would pass on any remake but if buzz was good then I'd consider.

8. Robocop: I can't say that I'd have a lot of any interest in seeing this be remade. A lot of factors would have to come together. The original was a cool film.

9. Fletch: I never read any of the books but I remember seeing this film in 1985 after getting back from a class trip to Action Park, which was a disaster! I still quote Fletch dialogue to this day (and have been doing so on a regular basis for 26 years!) The prospect of this title being remade scares me. I hope it doesn't happen. The same sentiment would go for any remake of Animal House or Blues Brothers.

10. The Fly: The 1958 original was a bit campy. Cronenberg's 1986 reboot was a really cool film. Honestly, I'm 33.3/66.7 on a remake. Really don't care but if there's a good director, good cast & some good buzz, then I would probably see it.

Who knows what would happen with these titles. There was a 1994 version of the Fantastic Four that is absolutely horrible but was made for legal purposes because the production company needed to make the film version to hold onto the rights to the FF franchise or something to that effect. It allegedly took 10 years to get Spider-Man to the big screen. So there could be a long wait.


No comments: